Friday, September 27, 2013

Pronoun problem resolved!

Total steps yesterday: 17,018
Exercise plans for today: absolutely none

We're having a girl!  No more pronoun fights!  I'm so excited!

My OB mentioned that she prefers the first trimester ultrasound to the second trimester, since you can actually see the whole baby and make out the different parts. Having now done both, I see what she means.  I was expecting things to be clearer second trimester, but if anything they were harder to see.  Lil W was also turned facing downward with her little face either buried against my stomach or hidden behind her hands, so we didn't get any good face shots.  Here is one of her feet in the top left of the ultrasound:

 
Also, the ultrasound took forever!  I don't know what I was expecting, but not an hour of being poked by the technician and then the doctor.  I know they needed to be thorough and am glad that they were, but I wasn't expecting it to take that long.  The good news is that all parts of Lil W, including her strong little heart (152 bpms), appear to be just fine.  Very good news.

For some reason I was imagining it being a super climactic moment when we learned the sex.  The technician even started up around the head and worked her way around the rest of Lil W first so that we ended with the sex check.  The entire time she'd been sort of quietly narrating what we were looking at:  "This is the head, and you can see the lips here, and here's the spine, and this view shows blood running through the heart" and so on and so forth.  And the big reveal was part of the same quiet narration:  "Here's the feet and toes, and you can see the rump here, and you're having a girl, and this is the belly button".  Just like that.  I looked back at James who was sitting behind me and we just looked at each other for a moment, then both turned back to the screen.

In the end, I don't feel super different.  I thought I'd be sad to bid farewell to Lil Boy W, but in that moment it just felt like one more little inevitable step on the road to who this baby will be.  I was worried  James would be disappointed since he'd been hoping for a boy - he's so surrounded by women in our house full of female pets and me - but he brightened up and started talking about the best type of shotgun to buy to intimidate her future dates.  So, there's that.

Overall, it's a good day.  No exercise planned, and I'm okay with that.  It makes for two rest days this week, but if anything was going to throw off my workout schedule, getting to see Lil W again was a great excuse.

Now we just need to figure out a name...



No comments:

Post a Comment