Thursday, September 26, 2013

20, 20, 24 hours to go-o-o

Total steps yesterday:  11,116
Exercise plans for today:  3 mile run

Well, little Zoe seems to be on the mend, and I've possibly found a slightly more affordable child care situation, so things are looking up a little bit from my previous post.  I've spent the last two days in a bit of a lazy funk and skipped my strength workout yesterday.  I don't feel too bad about it, and plan to get back on track today with a three mile run at lunchtime.

In less than 24 hours, James and I will be heading in to the doctor's for Lil W's 20 week (though actually 21 week) anatomy ultrasound, which includes a general check on how s/he is developing, along with hopefully finding out the sex.  It's funny to me because it feels like I'll know him/her just a little better once I know the answer to the boy/girl question, but that's also totally silly since it doesn't actually tell me anything about who Lil W will be.  Mostly I'll just be glad not to have to play the pronoun game anymore.

Have I mentioned that James and I have a boy name picked out but for the life of us can't come up with a girl name?  I'm really, really hoping for a boy just to make the name question easier.  Otherwise I think we'll spend the next five months in discussions and still not have a name once Lil Girl W arrives.  Or maybe just choose five names we don't hate and poll them with our friends and family.  It seems like outsourcing this decision is probably the best choice.

And finally, on my morning walk I saw this sign outside my office building, in an area next to the handicap parking:


I have thoughts:

1.  People still use the stork to signify having a baby?
2.  This sign is poorly written, since it presumably is for expectant pregnant women, but also allows for expectant adoptive moms to park here. 
3.  While I understand the idea, I feel like this somewhat furthers the image that pregnant women are disabled or ill, rather than just pregnant.  I doubt the people who put up the sign thought that way, but it's further evidence of this subconscious belief within our society that pregnant women have to be handled with kid gloves.  I mean, I try to walk 10,000 steps a day.  I think I can handle parking 30 feet further away from my office building than this.
4.  Despite point 3, I will totally be using these spots as it gets darker/colder/snowier/icier and as I get rounder and more off-balance.  And then maybe I'll stop being so annoyed at being treated like I'm going to crumble at the mere presence of any sort of effort on my body.
5.  Seriously, a stork?  Really?

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts on expectant mother signs are the same as your. Being pregnant is not a handicap. I think they'd be better served to have "Mom's with toddlers" parking spaces next to the cart corrals more since toddlers are an explosion of crazy that can go off at any time. But that may just be my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Courtney. I think someone mentioned that they have those signs at Wegmans, which makes sense since it's awesome. I imagine I'll have a lot harder of a time getting in and out of a store with a baby/toddler than with a bump.

      Delete