Tuesday, November 26, 2013

If I just lay here...

Total steps yesterday:  13,528
Exercise for today:  3 miles on elliptical

I was crazy high energy during my workout today.  Last week, I struggled to get to three miles on the elliptical at a rate of around 5 mph - today, I sailed through three miles at 7 mph and barely felt it.  It's a weird thing about pregnancy - some days I have the best workouts and some days I have the worst, and until I'm a few minutes in I always think it's going to be terrible. 

In other news, Lil W is moving a lot today, and it's fun.  She seems to have settled in to a vertical position for the moment that mostly involved kicking my ribs.  I've heard from other moms that this can get really annoying and painful once I get to the 8th month or so, so I'm trying to enjoy the feeling now while it still mostly just tickles.

Sleep has been weird lately, too.  I'll fall asleep quickly and deeply, which is awesome for naptimes.  But when I'm trying to sleep at night, I almost inevitably wake up around 3 a.m. and then fail to fall fully back to sleep the rest of the night.  It leads to me convincing myself that there's still value in just laying still, and I drift in and out of a doze, having weird dreams and abstract thoughts.  I actually don't hate it, even though it makes me tired when I have to get up.  I'm tired, but it's almost nice to have that time in which I don't have to do anything but lay there.

I've been thinking lately that pregnancy is really nothing like I'd expected it to be from the movies and television.  I haven't had any particularly insane cravings.  My hunger levels have been higher than normal, but not significantly different than they would be if I were training for a race.  There's some slight physical discomfort here and there, but nothing that's unmanageable.  I don't feel fat and I'm not super self-conscious about how I look.  I don't know.  Right now pregnancy just feels like not a big deal.  I know there's a long way to go and hopefully about six more pounds of baby growth before the end of it, so all of this might change, but right now it all feels pretty good.  I'm hoping this same thing will translate to labor.  I'm so used to the popular culture image in which the woman grits her teeth in pain while she pushes, usually uttering some version of "I can't do this".  But my experiences so far make me think that's probably an exaggeration. 

Regardless, it's getting close and I'm now starting to think a bit more about labor, birth plans, and other nitty gritty details.  I may share some thoughts once I've solidified mine a little more.  Or I may not come up with any plan and just roll with it when it comes.  We'll see.

And now we've reached the end of the least substantial blog post ever.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment