Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I'm beginning to look a lot like pregnant

Total steps yesterday:  14,643
Exercise for today:  3.25 elliptical miles

Well, team, I think it's official - I'm pregnant:



And this is the week that everyone in the entire world seems to feel comfortable noticing it and commenting on it.  Which is cool and all, but seriously, I still have three months of this - give me a break.

You may remember me talking about well-intentioned coworkers being super annoying and overprotective a while back.  It's getting worse and now the madness has spread from the men to the women.  Male coworkers now don't say anything to me and frequently have work conversations while awkwardly trying to look anywhere but at my stomach.  Women coworkers, on the other hand, have schooled me on how I shouldn't do the following things in the last few days:

1.  Reaching over my head to change the time on a wall clock.
2.  Taping labels on to boxes.
3.  Walk up one flight of stairs.

I had a brief mental battle with myself yesterday on how to handle this new treatment.  Specifically, I found myself wondering if at some point I should stop doing things because it makes other people uncomfortable.  I questioned whether or not it was fair to subject my coworkers to watching me do things they deem dangerous, and if I had any responsibility to helping them feel more comfortable in their work environment.  My entire job is focused on making sure people are comfortable in their work environment, so it feels weird to blatantly disregard their feelings.

And then I decided that was bullshit.  I know myself and my body.  I am comfortable asking for help when I need it.  It is not my responsibility to make my coworkers comfortable with how I look, just as it is not their responsibility to care for my unborn child.  If they are concerned, that is their issue to address, not mine.  I will make sure that they have the tools they need to do their jobs, and make sure that I do mine for as long as I'm comfortable.

The flip side, though, of being noticeably pregnant is that I have much more awesome discussions at the gym and in the locker room.  So many people who are in there at the same time as me have words of encouragement, many of them from the personal experience of working out throughout their pregnancy.  I'm definitely getting bigger, slower, and more waddly as the days go by, but it feels good to be moving and happy for at least another day.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment