Monday, December 9, 2013

3.1 miles for 31 weeks

Total steps yesterday:  12,169
Exercise for today:  rest

Ah, this weekend was amazing.  I went to New Jersey to run a 5k with some friends, and ended up having an awesome baby shower as part of the festivities as well.  Now I feel at least somewhat better prepared for Lil W's arrival - if nothing else, she's going to have a ton of cute outfits to wear!

And then we ran our 5k.  Running is so weird for me lately, since sometimes I feel great and powerful and other times I feel terrible and demoralized.  I went in to Sunday's run with the mindset of just rolling with it and enjoying the experience, regardless of whether or not I could actually run it.  In the end, I had zero issues. I ran it in probably around 35 minutes (I was timing but forgot to stop the time when I finished) and felt good and strong the whole time.  It helps that I had an awesome group of ladies to run with.  Here we all are after successfully completing the race in very chilly temperatures.


One thing I love about this picture is that I don't feel gigantic in it.  I've felt really huge lately, so it's nice to see myself next to six other super fit women and not feel like a cow in comparison to them.  I might be 30 pounds heavier and 2 minutes per mile slower than I used to be, but I can still hold my own, and that feels good.

As I talked about last week, I'd tentatively planned to make yesterday's run my last pregnancy run.  But it felt so good that I'm not sure if I can give it up just yet.  So I'll continue my love / hate relationship with running for a while yet.  I might slow down just a bit to see if I can eke out a few more weeks of jogs.  I might even make it to 8 months!

The drive home from NJ through a snow / ice storm was pretty slow going yesterday, but wasn't the end of the world.  I spent a long time thinking about Lil W as I drove.  She tends to be more active in the late afternoon / early evening, so her little bumps and jabs kept me company for the last few hours of the drive.  I don't know what it is, but she's so real to me lately.  I feel like this whole pregnancy she's been more of an idea than a reality, but now it's starting to register that there's a real little person in there, one with her own personality, patterns, and idiosyncrasies.  I can't believe that there are only two months left before I get to / have to share her with the world.  I'm getting very excited to actually meet this little girl.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to enjoy these last few months of just James and me.  It was so good finally getting home to him and Zoe last night.  I'm of course excited for the new addition to my little family, but I'm pretty lucky with the family I already have.  I want to enjoy that while I can.

1 comment: