Friday, August 30, 2013

Root vegetables: a love story

Total steps yesterday:  18,191
Exercise plans for today:  thwarted by a flooded gym

I'd planned on a strength workout and maybe also a run this morning, since I needed to kill time between dropping James off at the metro and work starting.  However, the locker rooms had flooded at the gym, so they closed it for the day.  I plan to take a lunchtime walk and should have no problems still getting in at least 10,000 steps, but I'm otherwise taking this as a rest day.

In other news, I'm officially at 17 weeks today.  Lil W is now about the size of a turnip!


This is the first week that I've looked at the fruit/veggie/baby comparison and thought "holy wow, that's big".  And also, it makes me want root vegetables this weekend.  Which is a little weird, since it feels like I need to clarify that I don't actually want to eat my baby, just the vegetable that embodies it this week.
I grew up with the more standard root vegetables like carrots and potatoes.  It wasn't until I married a southern gentleman that I discovered the joys of turnips and rutabaga.  James makes a rutabaga side that's basically just cut up rutabaga, boiled in salt and a bit of sugar, with some bacon or ham hock to go with it.  It is the best thing ever and I could eat it all day.

Maybe I'll ask him to make some for our anniversary dinner this weekend.  I haven't made any anniversary dinner plans, other than I sort of want it to involve pierogis and now also root vegetables.  I'll come up with something fun to do, though.  
It's funny the difference that a year can make.  Things change so quickly, sometimes unexpectedly.  I couldn't have predicted on September 1, 2012 that I'd be spending our first anniversary pregnant, but I'm glad.  I like changes.  It makes life exciting.

Except in my love for root vegetables.  That will never, ever change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment